I understand that language carries culture so many migrants whose first language is not English will frequently maintain their "home" language along with the connected cultural habits and nuances. This notion of language and identity is completely recognised in NZ with a strong push to Maori being spoken in homes and presumably along with it a resurgence of the subtleties of the associated culture and a pride in the heritage associated with that culture.
I have no problem with this but I see, with immigrants, how hanging on to migrant roots and language can disadvantage the next generation who are usually the very ones that immigrants move to benefit - ie. their kids. How often have I seen migrant kids who are doing their schooling here but still are very unconfident communicating in English.
I can understand this from migrants but what I can't get over is how students can come through the schooling and tertiary education systems in NZ and still can barely conduct an interview in English or, if employed, would have to have every email edited.
I won't comment on NZ high school education as it has both positives and negatives in its approach and I can somehow understand a student being promoted without being able to communicate in English in a High School but NZ tertiary education is another story entirely and I think it is a disgrace and completely deceptive to advocate that a student can pass a degree or diploma delivered in English and achieve what is considered to be a "first language" English qualification when, in fact, they clearly cannot communicate in English.
The solution, in my opinion, is to begin to award Second Language English Qualifications which at least would forewarn potential employers locally or offshore of the real status of the applicant and the likely investment of resources to eventually upskill those who clearly would like to be employed in an English speaking environment.
How do tertiary institutions manage to do this? Simple. They use "group presentations" as an integral part of their delivery medium of instruction. This usually drags the good communicators down while benefiting those who simply would never be able to communicate in English. Of course there are many who are not great orators and I am not suggesting this is the beginning and the end. Certainly the lack of English writing ability must also be evident to any lecturer and here I am at a loss as to how they promote students who can't write in English.
Having said this, I had a lecturer at Open Polytechnic who could barely speak English and spent almost half an hour just asking us our names so he could write it on a whiteboard - clearly irritating most students in the room.
So I think it's time to be honest about the one aspect we can control, namely being truthful about the student's ability to communicate in English.
No comments:
Post a Comment